How do I know if my pet is suitable for Animal-Assisted Therapy?
You could be living with a future Therapy Animal if the following statements are true:
- Your pet is even tempered, well behaved and under control. S/he is reliable and tolerant .
- Your pet enjoys interacting with and being touched by people.
- Your pet is non-aggressive toward people and other animals.
- Your pet has lived with you for at least six months (birds – one year) at the time of testing.
- Your pet is at least one year old and current on its rabies vaccination at the time of testing.
- You are able to bathe or have your pet bathed before visits.
- Your pet lives mainly indoors.
- Your pet will be able to follow basic obedience commands – ‘Heel’, ‘Sit’, ‘Down’, ‘Stay’, ‘Come’ and ‘Leave it’. (different for animals other than dogs)